Swim with Seals
Depart Ilfracombe Harbour for Lundy Island where you will spend the morning swimming with the seals in one of the many coves and bays around the Island’s Marine Nature Reserve. Go ashore and stroll the many coastal paths or grab lunch in the Tavern!
Lundy Island is recognised as becoming one of the UKs first voluntary marine nature reserves (vMNR) and in 2010 became the UKs first marine conservation zone (MCZ). The island is home to over 200 grey seals along with an abundance of rare and spectacular wildlife both above and below the waves. The islands nesting bird population draws visitors from far and wide each year with the puffins being a firm favourite.
Join us for an unforgettable experience diving or swimming with the seals in their natural environment. Our award winning trip departs Ilfracombe harbour for Lundy Island.
The journey across is just over an hour long and we often encounter dolphins along the way. Once at Lundy you will spend the morning with the seals in one of the many coves and bays around the islands marine nature reserve. The seals are very friendly and are often compared to puppies and are affectionately known as sea dogs. They are very playful and inquisitive by nature and enjoy swimming around people and tugging on fins!
Once back onboard you can enjoy a hot drink and get changed after which you will have a tour of the coastline on the way to the landing jetty before a few hours ashore to explore the Island at your leisure where you can grab lunch in the Tavern or stroll the many coastal paths in search of Puffins and other wildlife that inhabits the Island.
Divers can choose to go up the island at this point or stay onboard for a 2nd dive. There is often still time to go ashore after a 2nd dive for a short stroll.
For the snorkelers we offer wetsuit hire and snorkel gear just add the items you need at the checkout or if you have your own please feel free to bring it along. All of our hire wetsuits and snorkels are under 2 years old and we use 5mm winter suits to keep you nice and warm which in turn gives you more time in the water to enjoy the seals.
We no longer offer children’s wetsuits so if you have any children in your group it’s best to bring suits for them. Our adult suits will fit around 12 years old and upwards depending on height.
Divers need to be pre qualified as we do not offer training courses or guided dives. If you are booking as a lone diver please note that there is no guarantee we can buddy you up so please email us first to check if we can accommodate you on your chosen date.
Dives are carried out in shallow sheltered bays often in less than double figures so open circuit with a single cylinder is more than sufficient. Divers must be fit to dive, have a valid medical and their own insurance. Please bring your qualifications on the day to show to the skipper.
Whilst lunch is not provided this can be arranged and we do have complimentary teas and coffees on board. We also have a toilet/changing room. Trips generally run every day from May until early October and can be booked online via the website or over the phone on 07447 060 036.
The trip duration is usually 8 hours depending on the tide and weather. Trips are planned around the tides as Ilfracombe is a drying harbour so with this in mind start times vary slightly according to the state of tide on the day but are generally between 8am-9:30am departure and 16:00-18:00 return. For departures earlier than 9am our kiosk on Ilfracombe Pier will not be open.
Please wait at the ticket kiosk and a member of the boat crew will collect you and take you down to the boat once we are ready for boarding.
- It is important to note that time ashore cannot always be guaranteed as sometimes weather conditions at the landing jetty prevent us from landing so it is advisable to bring food just in case. We will always email you to let you know in advance if possible. Please use an email address on your booking that you will have regular access to.
- Snorkel kit and wetsuits are not included but can be booked at the check out, You only need to book quantity not sizes as we carry plenty of stock.
- We do not offer guided dives or swims
- If snorkelling you must be a strong swimmer and be confident in the water, we do not offer floatation devices but you can bring your own.
- The trip is not always considered suitable for persons with reduced mobility due to tides and access to the vessel and landings. Please call or email to discuss first so we can plan something to suit your needs.
- No dogs are allowed on Lundy
- The boat is a smoke free zone and this includes vapes however you can smoke on the island.
- A dryrobe/towel
- Water proof clothing
- Comfortable footwear suitable for walking on coastal paths/gravel tracks
- Card payments are the only form of payment accepted on the island
- Cold drinks and food
- It is worth noting that whilst Lundy is only a relatively short journey it is 20 miles out into the Bristol Channel and at times it can be quite a bit colder than on land. We advise passengers to bring warm waterproof clothing regardless of the forecast.
Where We Are
Wild Frontier Charters is a charter boat company based out of Ilfracombe on the North Devon coast with access to some of the South Wests best boat fishing and diving including Lundy Island’s Marine Nature Reserve.